SE London resident Skilzie is a grime MC to keep an ear out for and has recently released his latest free giveaway, prepare to launch vol 2…we caught up with him to get his thoughts on the scene, beef and whats to come for 2010..
1. How did u get into grime and how did u get your name?
BOY I GOT INTO GRIME FROM SCHOOL DAYS, USED TO LISTEN TO DIZZEE N ROLL DEEP A LOT AND ALL THE ESKIMO BEATS THEN JUST STARTED SPITTING AND JUST STUCK AT IT! MY NAME CAME ABOUT JUST ON A RANDOM I WAS GOING TO ORIGINALLY USE SKILZ BUT I DIDN’T LIKE IT SO I USED THE LAST 2 LETTERS OF MY REAL NAME AND PUT THEM ON THE END SO I HAD SKILZIE AND IT WORKED AND STUCK!!
2. Tell me about your upcoming release and what it brings to the scene that’s lacking at the moment
MY UPCOMING RELEASE IS ‘PREPARE 2 LAUNCH VOL. 2’. WHAT I THINK ITS GOING TO BRING TO THE SCENE IS MORE HARD EDGE GRIME. I HEAR A LOT OF ARTIST CROSSING OVER BUT I WANA BE THE GUY WHO MADE GRIME SELL. THAT’S WHAT I THINK THE SCENE IS LACKING ARTIST DONT LIKE TO TRY AND CHART WITH GRIME BUT I FEEL GRIME IS THE ONLY GENRE IN TOUCH WITH THE YOUTH OF TODAY!! SO I BELIEVE IT DESERVES MORE RECOGNITION THAN THE MAJORS OFFER IT!
3. Is the beef in the scene holding it back or does it breed competition
I BELIEVE BEEF IN THE SCENE IS GOOD HEALTHY COMPETITION BUT I THINK IT’S SILLY WHEN IT HAS TO TURN BAD BUT UNFORTUNETLY IT DOES CAUSE SOME ARTIST JUST CANT BE PROFESSIONAL BUT YOU KNOW THATS GRIME.. BUT YEA MAN BEEF IS GOOD!
4. Who in the scene do you want to colab with and why?
IF I HAD TO PICK ANYONE I WOULD DEFO SAY SCORCHER!! I THINK HE’S A BIG MC I KNOW HES TRYING TO CROSS OVER AT THE MINUTE AND HIS RELEASES MAY NOT BE STRONG TO A STRICT GRIME FAN BUT I WOULD GET HIM ON SOMETHING THAT WAS GRIME AND I KNOW HE WOULD DELIVER, NO DOUBT!!
5. Which non grime artists would you like to collab with?
IF I EVER GET THE CHANCE TO, THEN I WOULD SAY TAIO CRUZ!
6. Who in the scene will make the biggest impact in 2010 that hasn’t already broken thru
OBVIOUSLY ME LOL… NAH JOKES DESPITE WHAT HAPPENED I’D SAY MAXSTA! DEFO DOLLAR DA DUSTMAN TO COME THROUGH THIS YEAR AND P MONEY!
7. If you got asked by a major to make a cross over single (i.e. electro/r&b/hip hop) which would you choose to combine with your current sound?
I WOULD HAVE TO SAY HIP HOP. IT’S EASY TO CROSSOVER AND SELL ON WIDER SCALE!!
SHOUT OUT TO BLUNT
PREPARE 2 LAUNCH VOL. 2 OUT SOON!